My Thoughts | Modesty More Than Clothes?

7:48 AM

Hey y'all! Something that's really been on my mind these last few days has been, well, modesty. I've really been thinking...is modesty more than just the clothes we wear? We all know that wearing skirts below your knee, or covering up your "lower torso", wearing a high neckline or covering your shoulder...these are things that are considered "modest". But what if modesty is more than just the way we dress? What if it involves character, attitude and lifestyle?
 
Source


Ladies, I love this quote. LOVE it. This is the truth...the reality of modesty. Modesty is more than just the hemline of our clothes, it is the interior disposition that influences our dress, but also our thoughts and actions. I started to wonder...is it possible to cover up decently if your heart is bitter or proud? To be honest, I can't. I remember clear specific times in my life when I was struggling spiritually or had conflict with a family member. And in those moments it was hard for me to pull on a denim skirt. This is what got me thinking...modesty is an interior disposition.
 
Before I started my blog, I had little if any desire for modesty. It was "how can I look the cutest?", "what makes me look slimmest?", or I simply did not think about it. But now, modesty is a part of my life. And I enjoy it. Am I different than most girls? Yeah, probably. Will I be criticized, mocked or ridiculed for my standards? Yeah, most likely. Do I care if I am singled out or put down? Not too much. But that is totally fine! I want to be modest. It is my choice. My parents don't enforce it on me, I'm not pushed into it...it's my own personal desire. Just the other week I was chit chatting with my mom (I love talking with my mom! She is pretty much my best friend! Love you , Mommy! ❤ ) Anywho, I was talking with my mom about my past, present...future. We touched on relationships a bit...future friends, teammates, classmates...partners. And while we were chatting,1 Corinthians 15:33 came to mind. It states:
 
Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character."
 
Proverbs 12:26 also says:
 
The righteous should choose his friends carefully,
For the way of the wicked leads them astray.
 
If I dress modestly, more than likely I will attract girls and young boys with the same standards, morals and values. If I dress provocatively, chances are I will attract other gals and guys that value outer beauty. I want to surround myself with other Godly young girls (and in the future, young men) that value, respect and share my standards. And when you think values, morals and standards, you think character. So this all comes back to modesty truly being more than just dress. I understand not everyone can wear skirts and dresses everyday. That's fine! We all have our own standards and lives. The Bible doesn't specifically state modesty guidelines for young men or woman. So as younger girls, we discuss that with our parents (and God!) and in the future, we will submit to our husbands. But we should all learn and ask for strength to have a modest spirit. Humility, selflessness, a serving heart, loving-kindness. This is the core of modesty. Modest dress is just a fruit of that character!
 
I truly hope to encourage you, sisters in Christ. Trust me, I am far from perfect. Far. But that's okay. I have to learn to trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean on HIS understanding. In all my ways I should acknowledge Him and He will direct my paths. That is my hope. That is all of our hopes! The Lord calls each and everyone of us down a different path. Different adventures, struggles, joys, falls and victories. But let us be reminded by Him daily to put on that Armor of God so that we may fight and be victorious...bearing the Fruit of the Spirits.
 
So...what are your thoughts?
 
 

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Great post.... I love that quote also... and being modest outwardly only, can be a serious pride issue... the heart is so important. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Ashley! I agree with what you are saying. :) I think that defining modesty as being part of the character as well as outward appearance is something young women need to hear about more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have good standards and thoughts, Ashley! May the Lord continue to bless you as you strive to do what's right for Him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley! That is so funny! I was *just* planning identical to this;how modesty is more than just clothing choice. I can't believe you beam me to it :)

    This was very well-worded and I agree with everything you said. Great,great,great post!
    Naomi Rae
    livingasmodestgirls.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! Well...you know what they say, "Great minds think alike!" ;) Blessings, Naomi!

      Thank you so much Bethany, Paige and Gentle Joy...your sweet comments are always so appreciated!

      Delete

So what do you think? I love to hear from you!

// become a fan //