My Thoughts | Half Full or Half Empty?

10:27 PM

Hey y'all! I know, another My Thoughts post. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, reading devotionals and learning great stuff so I thought I would share a little about what I am learning! (But don't worry; a fashion post is just around the corner.) Anyway, "point of view" has been on my mind lately. In case y'all didn't know, I kind of tend to be a little bit more on the negative side of things. Is that a good thing? Not necessarily, no. And recently I read a devotional that had the title "Humor Is To Life What Shock Absorbers Are To Automobiles". Long story short, the devotional told the story of a couple who had one of their groomsman faint walking down the aisle right after the ceremony and knocking down the man of honor as well. The poor bride was trying to hold back the tears fearing she would be the new laughing stock of the town, while the groom laughed off the whole situation and made the guests feel more relaxed as well! (By the way, both guys were fine. Just so you know. ;D) Moral of the story is that a situation can mean or have a totally different effect on you based on the way you look at it. Half full or half empty.


Source

I think being optimistic is a permanent attitude that one should live by. Because if you think about it, it will reflect in pretty much everything you do. It also affects the way you look at people. In another devotional I read a quote that said, "Every person has good in them. So instead of focusing on the bad, why not shift lenses and focus on the good side?" It continued by sharing this anonymous poem:
 
Wouldn't this old world be better,
If the folks we meet would say:
I know something good about you,
And then treat us just that way!
Wouldn't it be fine and dandy,
If each hand-clasp warm and true
Carried with it this assurance-
I know something good about you!
Wouldn't things here be more pleasant,
If the good that's in us all
Were the only things about us
That folks bothered to recall!
Wouldn't life be lots more happy
If we'd praise the good we see!
For there's such a lot of goodness
In the worst of you and me.
Wouldn't it be nice to practice
This fine way of thinking too;
You know something good about me,
I know something good about you!
 
Imagine if someone went into a field that had two chests buried somewhere under the ground. One of gold and treasure and the other of trash. The person was aware that the field had both treasure and junk but chose only to look for the chest full of trash. Can you imagine the loss? Sometimes we treat others that way. We are all know that each of us carry our own struggles and weaknesses, but we also all have our strengths and gifts. Rather then focusing on finding the "chest of junk" in everyone, why not try to find the pot of gold?
 
What do you think? Do you tend to be a more optimistic or pessimistic person in general?
 
 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Sadly, I am pessimistic sometimes. I am negative to a lot of new ideas. This post really inspired me to work hard against that!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I love to hear from you!

// become a fan //