My Thoughts | Colossians 3

3:28 PM

Hey y'all! So, I finished reading my devotions from 1 Peter and traveled backwards nine books to Colossians. Colossians really stood out to me, especially chapter three; so I decided I would make a My Thoughts post about it!

Image taken from here
Colossians 3 is titled Rules for Holy Living; and as I was reading it, I realized that this chapter clearly lists almost everything one should see in true Christian (or, in other words, how a Christian should be living). While I was reading, I jotted down the thirteen main things the Lord tells us to do as Sons and Daughters of Christ that were listed in the first seventeen verses. May I share them with you?

1. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (verse 2)
2. Put to death...immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, greed, which is idolatry. (verse 5)

I want to stop a little on this one. Did you ever know that the Bibles refers to greed as a form of idolatry? This is the first time I have ever heard greed being put to next to idolatry, and I found it really interesting. The Bible talks a lot about greed and its consequences, especially if you look in Proverbs. But looking at it as idolatry takes it to a totally different level. In the Ten Commandments, "Thou shalt have no other God before me" is the very first on the list. Anything that we as humans put before God, becomes an idol. Whether that is outward appearance, wealth, friendships or relationships...who knows! When I first read this, I felt like I personally had to watch my own selfish desires which could easily lead to being greedy! Anywho, continuing on...

3. Rid yourselves of...anger, rage, malice and filthy language from your lips. (verse 8)

Let's stop for a little again. Anger, filthy language, these are things that seem so normal to us nowadays. When was the last time you saw a new, popular teen movie that didn't have any sort of bad language in it? I can't easily think of one. The world has made horrible words that are definitely not pleasing to Jesus seem so "ok". Let's go deeper and see what else the Bible has to say about this type of language. In Ephesians 4:29 it says:
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."
Later in Ephesians (chapter 5 verse 4) it says:
"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving."
So the Bible says that we should replace filthy language with what? Words that build each other up, and thanksgiving.

4. Do not lie to each other. (verse 9)
5. Cloth yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. (verse 12)

When I wrote this one down in my journal I wrote "compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience" in all caps. These are all things I have to work on in my life. They are like links, if you are missing one, the whole chain breaks. Think about it, how can you live in patience if you don't have humility to maybe swallow something someone said to you, or admit you were wrong...? Or how can you show kindness if you don't have patience with others? You see where I'm getting at? Jesus doesn't want us to have one of these characteristics, he wants us to work on all of them!

6. Bear with each other. (verse 13)
7. Forgive whatever grievances you may against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (verse 13)
8. And over all virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. (verse 14)

Love. We hear that word so often. "I love you." or "I love that movie". "I love this blouse". So often used, it's so easily taken. But God puts so much emphasis on love! What does Jesus say the greatest commandment is? It's in Matthew 22:37-39 when the Pharisees tested Jesus with a question. Jesus replied:
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’" 
God wants your love and He also wants you to love others. And here, in Colossians 3:14 it says that over everything put on love!

9. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts. (verse 15)
10. Be thankful. (verse 15)
11.  Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. (verse 16)

This particular verse really touched my heart because I love music. I love to sing, and I love to listen to music. But there are times, when I don't necessarily listen to spiritual or Godly music. And this is the first time I realized that God actually wants us to listen and sing hymns, spiritual songs and Psalms! After I read that, I made it a personal goal to listen and sing only Christian music. :)

12. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (verse 17)

Do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus as you give thanks! What a great reminder! This chapter has so much wisdom...and I only shared what touched my heart in the first 17 verses!
I really hope this was encouragement to you in any shape or form (hopefully I didn't bore y'all). God really spoke to me through this chapter, and book in general, and I am so thankful for everything He showed me!
I hope y'all have an awesome rest of your week and weekend. Have you read anything lately that has touched your heart?


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Very well done! Thanks for sharing!!

    Blessings,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, Ashley. I had to pull myself away from shows that didn't say inherently bad words but it was against the Ten Commandments. Then I was told that it didn't matter if I hear bad words if I didn't say them myself. My parents TOTALLY disagreed!
    I thought this post was great. I love the devotions!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents once told me that whenever I'm told something or hear something that sounds against my values, always run to God's Word! You can never go wrong with that! Parents are also a great source of advice and counsel. Thank you so much for sharing, Kathryn! I always enjoy reading your comments!

    Thanks also, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really great devotional Ashley! Thanks so much for sharing your encouragement so we can be encouraged too! :)
    To answer your question, Psalm 63. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I just found your blog. Colossians is such a great book!!! I hope you will follow my blog!!
    Love Ashley
    creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I love to hear from you!

// become a fan //