Summer Maxi Dress | 1 Peter 3

2:28 PM

Hey y'all! Happy Lord's Day; I hope you guys are having a pleasant weekend. I've recently been having my personal devotions from 1 Peter, so I thought I would share some things that stood out to me along with my outfit today. Y'all don't mind, do you?



 So, 1 Peter 3, v. 1-6 have really spoken to me recently. They read:
"Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."
Though I am not married (as clearly seen), the first couple of verses really spoke to my heart. The Scripture says that "...If any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives." When they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Wow! How powerful! Even though I am still single, I thought that these principles and verses could easily translate to my own personal life. My life should be so pure and I should live in such reverence of the Lord and His Word that others who watch me should be "won over without words" by the behavior of my life. By my dress, by my speech, the kindness I show to others, humility of my actions...these should all be pointers to Christ my Savior! I cannot begin to tell you what a great reminder this was for me! I am so easily annoyed and upset, I am sure that many times I do not shine as an example for others. But by the grace of God, I wake up every morning with a fresh start- another try- to bring people to Him!

 The next part of the passage that really stood out to me was verses 3-5. Once again they read,
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves...."
When I first read this passage, the first thing that came to my mind was, "How much priority, how much emphasis am I putting on my outward beauty compared to my inward holiness and beauty?" The Bible says that our beauty should not come from outward adornment! Plain and clear. In my last My Thoughts post, a wonderful reader commented this- "You don't need outward beauty to shine." Ladies, I cannot begin to tell you how true this is! Even though God has blessed every single young woman on this planet with outward beauty, this is not what makes us truly beautiful. Our gentle and quiet spirits, humility, serving hearts, generosity...this is what God asks of each and every one of us! Peter says that these traits are of great worth to God! In 1 Samuel 16:7, Samuel went to Jesse's home to pick the new king of Israel. After looking at all the older sons of Jesse, the Lord picked David, the youngest brother who was shepherding his father's sheep. When Samuel questioned God because of David's small stature, God said: "Do not consider his appearance or his height...The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
I know that so often I make instant judgments about people based on their outside appearance alone. Is this the best idea? No, probably not, but as humans I think we all have the tendency to do that! God, in his holiness and righteousness does not look at what the man looks at, but looks at the most important thing in the world- the heart.
//outfit details//
Cardigan: Pumpkin Patch (very old...)
Dress: Ross
Belt: Borrowed from older sis
Necklace: Gift
Shoes: Macy's
Ring: Local Shop
So, how much emphasis are you putting on your outward appearance? Do you have some prioritizing work to do like I have? I know that especially as girls, it comes natural to worry about how we look- and you know what? That's normal and that's good! God wants us to look our best and to dress with modesty and decency (1 Timothy 2:9), but he also wants us to make our inner beauty, or character, shine!

Hope y'all didn't mind me sharing my personal thoughts...and I'd love to hear what you have to say as well! Until next time....



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I loved this! This would be wonderful to incorporate into the My Thoughts posts. Or it could a different post like My Thoughts: 1 Peter, or something like that!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a lovely young lady, seeking after God's word! That is a wonderful calling. As the mother of two teen boys, I truly wish more young ladies cared about representing our Lord.
    I found you through The Modest Mom Blog.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I love to hear from you!

// become a fan //