My Thoughts | How High Is Too High?

7:00 AM


Hey y'all! I was inspired to start a new series called "My Thoughts" where I'll share just some topics or thoughts that are on my mind with y'all! Then, you can tell me what you think about them! Today, I'm here to chat about heels. I started to think, can heels be immodest? Is there a place where they can get to high and start to attract the wrong attention? I started wondering why girls enjoy wearing such high heels anyway and how they got started. So I did a little research. Apparently, men actually started wearing heels first. They were worn mostly by men who road horses so that their feet wouldn't slide out of the stirrups. Heels also kept riders still when they needed to stand up and shoot arrows. Of course, these heels weren't 4-6 inch heels, but what we may see now on cow boy boots.


It looks like women who wanted to look more masculine started wearing heels next. Here's what I read,
"In the 1630s you had women cutting their hair, adding epaulettes to their outfits…
They would smoke pipes, they would wear hats that were very masculine. And this is why women adopted the heel — it was in an effort to masculinize their outfits."
As I read further, prostitutes picked up heels next, hoping to attract more attention and possibly get more money. Then, women just picked up the heeled shoe and just never let it go.

Now, I'm not saying that wearing heels is a sin or you shouldn't do it. Because to be honest with you, I love heels and I think they are super cute! But, I am starting to think, is there actually a point where heels are too high. I don't think the Bible specifically mention heels for women, but it does say this:
"Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11 Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness."
But, then you have to think about this: "What is the intent?" Are you wearing them purposely to get attention to yourself? How are you using/walking in them? Are you walking provocatively?  God looks  not only at how you are dressed, but at the intent of the heart. I like heels, but I am willing to set boundaries for myself so I may honor the Lord. Sure there are times when I will be tempted to buy a sky-high heel, but I know it is against my better judgment so I will smile and walk away.

Now, just for fun, I thought I'd show you these. They Cracked. Me. Up. when I first saw them!


What do you think about heels? Do you think that there is a point where heels can get too high? Feel free to share your own personal thoughts...I'd love to know what you think!



You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Oooh, I'm really excited for this series, Ashley! I'm not too big of a fan of heels simply because I can't walk in them. The "history" of the heels was really interesting and something I'd never heard of! As for those heels, I'd like to see how you could even walk in them! That must hurt your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Ashley! Thanks for the little history lesson. I agree with you; I really like heels but try not to go for the tall ones that are so...*hem* loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Ashley, I really enjoyed this post. As a horse rider myself, I know the need for a little heel, especially when I ride English which involves jumping rails and posting to the trot. When I ride Western I need heels too to keep myself in the stirrups, which can be hard. But when it comes to high-heels I am out! I'm just all for simple flats-black, brown, and white-for church. I wear the occasional heel where it should be…on my riding boots!

    Thanks for letting me comment!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this, I began thinking, "How high IS really too high?" Then I thought, is one wearing heels to make herself taller, feel prettier, or just sport sassy shoes? (My alliteration was accidental!) Like it says in the Timothy verses, are heel worn in propriety and moderation? For me, I can just do without!

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your opinions and sharing your thoughts! It's always such a blessing to hear what y'all have to say! Can't wait to hear more! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely wear heels because my husband is only slightly taller than me--I look taller than him in heels and it's a look I often try to avoid. There are some dresses that to me look best with a ladylike heeled pump, so I have two pairs of heels that I'll wear on occasion.
    For me, the biggest problem with extremely high heels is that they limit mobility and movement--I'm not a fan of any aspects of fashion that could be physical harmful and limit the wearers ability to perform normal duties of life (i.e. we could go back to the foot-binding practice of China for an example of fashion that's not helpful)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it just comes down to a time and place for everything. I see no problem with really high heels while out with friends/on a date, etc. Or even hanging out in your house! However, maybe not for work/any place where you might trip/get hurt. Cool new series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you so much for your opinion, Sara! I can totally see where you are coming from, and I really think it just comes down to what you believe is right and your own personal values and beliefs. Like I said before, I don't think heels are a sin, it's just about being careful! Once again, thank you! =D

      Delete
  8. I agree with you. I believe that everything, including heels, can be immodest, if you use them because you want men to look at you. I love heels, I think they're beautiful and feminine and since I don't use miniskirts, i think they make an outfit more beautiful and less "grandma". I think, however, that the shoes with a high platform, like those in the first photo, are a little vulgar and can give the wrong impression.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. I believe that everything, including heels can be immodest, if you use them because you want men to look at you. I love heels, I think they're beautiful and feminine and since I don't use miniskirts, i think they make an outfit more elegant and less "grandma". I think, however, that the shoes with a high platform are too much and can give the wrong impression.
    P.s. if i made some mistakes, i apologize, i'm italian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem at all, Valeria! I think it's awesome that you are Italian! I have a couple relatives that live in Italy! One day...I hope to visit! Thank you so much for your thoughts- hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  10. High heels are not appropriate. Because elohim Yahweh know what your intentions are while wearing them. Most of the time women wear them thinking "I look goood, I feel sexy! I know those guys are looking at me" that's immodest thoughts. So sinful, Just remember to always think "would I wear this if I was with my savior Yahshua Emmanuel (the messiah)
    Thank you, please check out my blog Youngmodestandfree.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband LOVES me in high heels, so I wear them for him. As a SAHW&M, I do what I can to make coming home to me as much of a blessing as possible. I know that he loves it when I come to the door looking happy and well taken care of. He loves it when I dress for him. That said, I have ONE pair of REALLY high heels that are reserved for date nights and the rest of the time the heels that I wear are 3" max. That's mostly for comfort but also because the heels that are designed to be any higher than that are actually designed to throw a woman off balance, which in turn makes her "pooch" her bum and breasts out slightly to compensate. That's why they look so alluring and that's why they are such a distraction for men. They impose an unnatural posture that highlights a woman's "assets."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wear heels all the time...but I do think that they are too high if they go up your leg. It can lead eyes right up your leg. But I just wear ankle length ones.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I love to hear from you!

// become a fan //